After a short struggle in reaching the right address since the missing ‘2’ in the ‘house’ number lead us to the wrong side of 12th Street, we were glad to step into the elevator to the 22nd floor. Unit #2202 of Luxe took our breath away with its most astonishing views. We were not real fans of the floor plan since having to go through the bedroom to enjoy the East terrace was not the smartest move in our eyes. A direct access to that jewel would have been the right thing to do.
Despite its almost 2,000 square feet, the unit is very narrow. We were wondering why the wide hallway couldn’t have been integrated into the penthouse to provide more depth….
Ideally located at a few steps of Piedmont Park, the penthouse offers convenience associated with luxury. And the views are worth millions… Without them, it would just be a big apartment on a rooftop…
Now in its 7th year, there is no need to introduce this popular annual tour of modern homes in and around Atlanta. A total of 13 modern dwellings will open their doors this coming week end to the public. And if, like me, you are an amateur of modern design, you will be thrilled with this year’s home brochette! Let’s start with the residential homes:
- The Witter Residence at 524 Oakview Road in Oakhurst (Decatur). Since 2010, this elegant of contemporary Prarie Style Architecture situated on a hill is overlooking Oakview Road. Builder Arlene Dean.
- The Weststrate Residence at 2357 Loraine Street in Brookhaven Heights was originally a 1948-ranch of 990 square feet (tax records) with 3 bedrooms and 1 bath … Look at it now! It was sold in 2013 for $290,000.
- The Sanders Residence at 1016 Sanders Avenue
- The Quinn-Parrish Residence is a stunning penthouse located on the 22nd floor of Luxe at 222 12th St. offering panoramic views of Piedmont Park, Midtown/Downtown skylines. The 1,931 (tax records) square feet unit features 2 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms and was sold in 2009 for $1,549,900.
- Pearl Street unveils 3 modern sister dwellings: #184, #194 and #200 at the borderline of Cabbagetown and Reynoldstown.
- The Florian Hart Residence at 225 Corley Street is a custom-built within yards of the Beltline in Atlanta’s Old Fourth Ward. This 3-bedroom, 3 1/2 bath home, built in 2008, offers 3,318 square feet (appraisal) of unparalleled living experience and is currently for sale for $795,000.
- The Custer Residence at 935 Custer Avenue, in Woodlawn Estates, is a hidden surprise at the end of a long driveway. Built in 2005 as a one-story California style home, its exceptional and very contemporary floorplan spreads out on an approximate 1,900 square feet (tax records). It includes a salt water pool. It has been acquired by the current owners in December 2012 for $360,000.
Further we have some commercial modern dwellings also on featured on the tour:
- ADAC (Atlanta Decorative Arts Center, 351 Peachtree Hills Avenue NE, Suite 403, Atlanta, GA 30305), a facility built over 50 years ago by renowned architect John Portman, will host this year’s MA Design Expo and MA Architecture Tour Launch Event on Friday, June 6 from 6:30 to 11pm
- Lightroom, at 115 N. McDonough Street, is a repeat from last year.
- SCAD Museum of Art at 601 Turner Boulevard in Savannah has joined the tour.
As this year’s Modern Home Tour is about to quick start, I would like to introduce you to one of the homes on the tour: The Wellbourne Residence, located at 1835 Wellbourne Drive, Atlanta, in the fabulous Morning Side/Lenox Park community. When the current owners purchased the sizable one-acre property in September 2012 for $425,000, they had big plans. Under the expert’s hands of Cablik Enterprises, this existing 1949-ranch disappeared to make place for a true modern energy efficient delight designed by Tac Studios. Built on a crawl space, 4,395 square feet of living space offer four-bedroom and three and one half baths home with wide open kitchen, living, and dining room areas. Further you will discover some very nice features like:
- the gourmet Siematic kitchen designed by Rao Design Studio, which includes Thermador and Miele appliances, Hansgroh faucets, a custom oak island countertop, and Caesarstone countertops.
- the custom Timberline vanities in the bathrooms
- Marvin aluminum clad windows and double sliders
- Emtek door hardware throughout
- white oak floors and trim accents
The house wouldn’t be complete with its large patio built with sustainably harvested red grandis wood. The patio features remote-controlled screens for ease of controlling privacy and sunlight.
For the first time on the MA Architecture Tour 2014, you can visit this home on Saturday & Sunday, 7 – 8 June from 10 am – 4 pm. Tickets are $35 ($25 students with ID).
Photography by Galina Coada and Michael Tavel.
This house from last year’s Modern Atlanta Home Tour – known as the Schlumberger Residence or also referred as the Tree House – just hit the rental market in Vinings Village (Atlanta). A rare opportunity for those avid of modern essences. This 1974-California style split level went through a total makeover under its new ownership since 2002. The entire building envelope got rebuilt, the east side of the house has been expanded to leave space for a magnificent kitchen, every room got remodeled, the terrace level has been made part of the living space and as importantly, attention was set to its energy efficiency: reflective metal roof, low water flow plumbing fixtures, new high efficiency hybrid HVAC system, high performance windows, tons of insulation,… nothing has been spared.
Set in a prime location on a large lot, surrounded by nature, the house presents a very open floor plan on 3 levels with natural maple flooring throughout and the ample ambient natural light fills the house during the day. It includes 4 bedrooms upstairs of which a large master bedroom with adjacent master bath and an office nook. The Chef’s Kitchen offers an extra large central island, top of the line appliances & fixtures, 36′ gas cooktop, quartz counter tops … The terrace level accommodates a bedroom/recreation room. The large deck sized for outdoor entertaining and a cozy patio emphasizes outside living.
Discover more info about this rental.
Photography: James Klotz, John McDonald and Patricia Kalmeijer
The fabulous MA Design is Human Week and Architecture Tour is scheduled for the week of June 1-8. I have been addicted to this tour since its early stage and I highly recommend it.
For details, tickets, maps, directions, follow this link.